I was listening to my "commuting buddy" Alistair Begg the other morning and I was almost erupting with hearty AMEN's while driving. He was giving a message on the qualifications for Elders in the church but also what qualifies one to be a preacher and defining what true "success" means. I guess I will use my blog to vent a wee bit (since I haven't been using it much for anything else...) and discuss a subject that I am quite passionate about.
Today, there are many denominations and many Christian churches popping up; some faithfully expositing the scriptures and others merely exploiting them for their own gain. It is disheartening to see so many following the trend of defining success in numbers, charisma, books sold and to see leaders creating a name for themselves; operating more as CEO's of a business/franchise than taking the humble position of shepherd to their flock. We are so easily taken in with those who have the nice shiny white teeth, perfect smile, tailored suit, a few spikes of highlighted hair, tell humorous stories and give promises of a "good life". I must ask the question, "How are we defining success?". If we look to the bible and the men that God often chose, they were not those with the most charisma or smooth speech. And just because a "church" boasts thousands of people does not mean that we should set them up as the model for how a church is to function ( Now, I am not saying that just because a church is large that it is unfaithful to the scriptures or that because one is small that it is faithful, it really isn't an issue of size except when that becomes the measure by which we determine success). Where along the way have we lost the emphasis on faithfulness and focused more on what will cater to people (pragmatism)? Shouldn't worship of our Tri-une God be more than flimsy entertainment... centered more upon man than God? Does the end justify the means? I would have to say emphatically "NO".
I realize that I am speaking somewhat indirectly and with generalizations, but it is not just an isolated situation that I am describing. What disturbs me most is how easily people are lulled into believing whatever comes from the lips of these smooth-talking "salesmen" and how faithful study of the scriptures is tossed aside. We must be careful not to elevate any man to such a place where we no longer examine what they say or do to determine accuracy or truth. As followers of Christ, we must not be so enamoured with appearance and charisma when we seek a church, a pastor and elders. Consider our Lord who was "meek and humble of heart" and consider the treasure we have in the Gospel...a treasure we must not allow to be replaced with a counterfeit.
1 Timothy 3 is clear on the qualifications for pastors/elders. It does NO good for the Gospel of Christ to circumvent what he has laid out in scripture and to choose men according to the trends of this age, what is popular, political correctness and whom will draw more people.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment